To ensure fish recuperation zones, WWF promotes participatory marine and coastal spatial planning with fishing communities, building support for sustainable management and preservation of key nurseries, mangroves and spawning aggregation sites. Anticipated outcomes from the multi-stakeholder engagements include:
- Support for sustainable fisheries management plans in Guyana and Suriname;
- Protect marine turtles, dolphins, sharks and rays by reducing bycatch, encouraging wildlife tourism, and ensuring turtle nesting beach protection – see box below.
- Expand Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Certification
- Reduce illegal, unregulated and undocumented (IUU) fishing via a vessel monitoring system and enhance enforcement capacity for government agencies in French Guiana;
- Build a permanent financing mechanism for enhanced management of new MPAs